I made some little pumpkins to line the flower bed in our front yard with some old plywood that was hanging around the garage. I used a jigsaw and cut out three pumpkin shapes of various sizes, sanded down the sharp edges, and painted with some leftover black chalk paint. I wanted to paint them orange but it was suuper late and I was too impatient to wait until the next day, so after the chalk paint dried I used an orange piece of chalk and colored them in. Problem solved.
Originally I had planned for them to sit upright by the front door, but our front entrance is just so large that it definitely understated them a bit. So I picked up some $0.75 5 gallon paint stir sticks and cut off the edges to make them sharp. While I was at Walmart I also picked up two pretty large pumpkins that are sitting at the front door for $3.50 each! Not bad.
There are so many crafts on pinterest for recycled wine bottles, and we have at least 20 sitting under the bar here at the Behrens house. What can I say, we drink a lot of wine. So I got some ribbon and orange candles and made little candleabras! I placed two at the front door and used two as a center piece for our dining table. I’ll definitely be doing more. The hardest part was getting the labels off the bottles. I followed a recipe that called for baking soda, white vinegar and hot water and left them soaking for awhile. Some came right off, others I had to sit and scrape away at for awhile. I ran out of vinegar but I’ll be doing a couple more once I pick some up.
I also made the wreaths at the front door for pretty cheap. The twig wreaths themselves were only about $3 each, and I bought a bouquet of fall leaves for $0.97! The rest were just supplies I had in my arts and crafts boxes at home, aside from a couple new things of ribbon. Overall all of the decorations for the house cost me about $25, and I still have supplies left over to do more!